PRESS RELEASE –Published on 10th November 2017
Following our recent short inspection we are happy to announce that Ofsted have confirmed that Fircroft remains a “Good” provider. This reflects significant progress under the new Ofsted framework whilst working with learners with increasingly complex lives and needs in line with our mission. Our newly developed vision ‘Learning to create a better world’ informs our ethos, the ways in which we work and the impact on the lives of Fircroft staff and students.
We deliver transformative education which changes lives. Our model of residential education and support delivers very successful outcomes for our students. We are a specialist and niche provider and put students at the heart of everything we do. We are pleased that Ofsted recognised this, stating that we:
• ‘maintained the high, and very high, achievement rates for learners on
Short Courses… including the recruitment of a higher proportion of learners with multiple barriers to learning’
• ‘used [our] strong links with partner organisations to ensure that [our] new
programme of community learning courses meets the needs of learners with a clear focus on those who are most disadvantaged ’
• ‘recruited support staff with good knowledge and experience of working with learners with barriers to learning’
• ‘[Leaders and managers have] ensured that safeguarding arrangements are fit for purpose and take highly effective action to safeguard learners, both residential, and non-residential. Learners feel safe.
• ‘place a very strong emphasis on involving learners in self-assessment’.
Melanie Lenehan, Principal and CEO of Fircroft College said, “We are delighted that Ofsted have recognised the progress that the College has made since our last Inspection and that our focus on transformational adult education results in successful outcomes for our students.”
Cheryl Turner ‘Chair of the Fircroft Governing Body’ today said, “The Governors are delighted with the outcome of Fircroft College’s inspection and its recognition of both the value of the transformational learning that takes place, and the progress being made in providing the most positive experience possible for the students.”
Vicky Higgins, President of the Fircroft College Student Union added, “I enjoy getting out of bed in the morning knowing that I am coming to Fircroft. The environment is so positive and everyone is really supportive. It’s good to see the college getting the recognition it deserves.”
Our Ofsted report can be read in full here.